The incumbent will be responsible for direct and indirect nursing care and treatment of patients/clients. The job is performed under the direct supervision of the Nursing Supervisor or designated Charge Nurse. The incumbent is expected to work as a team member in providing and promoting excellence in nursing care and standards.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- BSc. in General Nursing from an accredited School of Nursing
- Current registration with the Nursing Council of Jamaica as a Registered Nurse.
- Graduate with beginning professional skills up to a maximum of five (5) years moving from novice to expert staff nurse.
- Fundamentals of Nursing: Life, Behavioral, Natural and Medical science, Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Introduction to Research Methodology, Nutrition, Diagnostic test and treatment, Elements of Management, Nursing Health and Related Legislation.
Skills and Competencies
- Positive work attitude, sound ethical conduct, good human relations, basic nursing philosophy, calm, controlled and purposeful manner, positive work ethics, punctual, reliable.
- Clinical, communication, interpersonal, leadership, diagnostic/problem solving skills.
- Foundations of nursing, good decision making and determine causes of action on patients’/clients’ problems.
- Ability to differentiate and discriminate/determine the patients’ need for medical intervention
- Fundamentals of analysis and interpretation of diagnostic report and data
- Supervises other nurses and other members of the health team
- Knowledge of and ability to maintain the code of ethics of the nursing profession
- Demonstrate awareness of patients’ condition at all times.
- Develops, implements , evaluates a nursing care plan for the individual patent/client using all the relevant data
- Demonstrates ability to prioritize in any situation
- Observes and records vital signs and symptoms, adjusts and modifies care plan according to observation made of the patients’ physical and mental status.
- Interprets and administers prescription, treatment and monitors the patients’ reaction to ensure the best possible outcomes.
- Anticipates potential and predictable problems and institutes early intervention to prevent or reduce occurrence e.g. disorientation, pain, physiological alterations, disturbance in acuity, rest and sleep patterns, elimination and nutrition.
- Acts promptly, appropriately and effectively in emergency situations.
- Performs nursing procedures that are appropriate to the needs, age and acuity level of the patient.
- Provides personal care, comfort, supportive and protective measures e.g. patients coping mechanisms in adjusting to illness and rehabilitation, mobilization and independence.
- Employs nursing measures to facilitate patients’/clients’ physical, emotional, psychosocial and spiritual wellbeing
- Monitors the nutritional care of patients with special attention to therapeutic diets.
- Documents nursing care and all other information promptly, clearly and completely and relates as necessary to relevant persons.
- Ensures proper collection, identification, storage and safe transportation of specimens to the laboratory with appropriate requisition forms.
- Performs simple diagnostic tests and interprets findings e.g. urinalysis, B-HCG urine tests
- Understands the proper functioning and utilization of equipment pertinent to duties being performed.
- Introduces and maintains habilitative, rehabilitative, and exceptional recreative measures to facilitate progress.
- Participates in implementing disaster preparedness program at unit level.
- Participates in quality assurance programs.
- Ensures environmental safety of patients’ care unit and sees that appropriate health and safety measures are in place.
- Implements discharge/care plan including referral to appropriate agency.
- Performs and maintains a therapeutic nurse/client relationship.
- Participates in In-Service Education programs and serves on committees as required.
- All other duties as assigned
Depending on the setting, may also
- Rotate through various clinical services, where qualified and competent
- Completes required orientation as directed by the facility
- Follows facility safety and OSHA safety rules and procedures while on assignment
- Respects cultural and religious practices of patients and the Institution
- Upholds the rights of the patients and the Institution
- Is punctual and dependable for assignment/confirmed shifts
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.