The successful candidate will assess, manage and treat patients in our Out-Patient/Emergency Department.
Main duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to
• Manage common emergencies e.g. acute MI, acute asthma, multiple trauma, etc.
• Perform minor surgical procedures e.g. suturing, basic POP, I&D of abscesses, etc.
• Refer patients to Specialists where appropriate -urgent/ routine.
• Provide follow up care for patients with chronic illnesses e.g. Hypertension, Diabetes, etc.
• Interview and examine patients to generate a differential diagnosis list
• Review previous notes as available
• Order appropriate investigations
• Interpret the results of these investigations
• Initiate initial management of patients
• Make further decisions regarding the patient management, i.e. admission, transfer, or treatment as an out-patient
• Refer patients to the appropriate specialty team or transfer patients in a timely manner as necessary
• If the patient is to be treated as an out-patient the Emergency Room Medical Officer must decide on the appropriate medication and the appropriate place for follow-up if necessary
• Perform minor procedures
• Generate referral letters for any patient being sent to a clinic to be reviewed
• Decisions made in the management of these patients usually make the difference between life and death. The Emergency Room Medical Officer must therefore:
• Assess patients that enter the emergency room immediately and oversee emergency patient’s recovery
• Make the decisions to and perform the initial ABC’s of resuscitation
• Institute appropriate means of hemostasis where necessary
• Make decisions regarding the use of electrical therapy in the treatment of a cardiac arrest and carry out this function as necessary
• Decide when to and perform life-saving procedures (listed below)
• Inform the appropriate specialist service and maintain hemodynamic stability until they arrive, or patient is transferred
• Other actions/procedures as directed by the Outpatient/ Emergency Department Supervisor.
Procedures to be Performed by the Emergency Room Doctor:
• Insertion of intravenous cannula
• Taking of blood
• Suturing of lacerations
• Applying plaster splint
• Reduction of dislocated joints
• Reduction of simple fractures
• Emergency intubation
• Relief of tension pneumothorax and insertion of thoracostomy tubes
• Emergency deliveries
• Incision and drainage of simple abscesses
• Perform and interpret arterial blood gases
• Wound debridement
• Removal of foreign bodies
• ECG interpretation
• Other actions/procedures as directed by the Outpatient/ Emergency Department Supervisor
• Make recommendations to the head of department regarding improved efficiency of the service
• Assist in maintaining quality of care
• Be a link between the customer (the patient) and the department head, providing the necessary feedback information on customer satisfaction, queries, and recommendations
Teaching and Research
Preparation and presentation at meetings assigned for continuing education in the department
Providing adequate patient records
Academic qualifications and experience required for job
• Degree in Medicine from an accredited institution
• Registered Medical Practitioner in Jamaica
• A minimum of two (2) years post SHO/internship experience
• At least two (2) years’ Emergency Room experience
• In-depth knowledge of current medical treatments and procedures.
• Valid Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Certification Required
• Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
• Exceptional time management skills.
• Great attention to detail with excellent analytical skills.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities.
• Ability to think and act quickly in a stressful environment.
Applications along with resume should be sent by Friday, April 24, 2020 to
Human Resource Director
Andrews Memorial Hospital Ltd.
27 Hope Road, Kingston 10
Or electronically to email@example.com with the applicable Job Title in the subject line.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.